If you are considering leaving us a gift in your Will, thank you. Your gift will provide essential support for life-changing research. Your generosity will ensure that researchers can work on the questions families want answers to. It will help all autistic people and their families live long, happy, healthy lives.
Every gift in every Will makes a difference – regardless of size or type.
Types of gift
The most usual gifts are:
- A sum of money which can be any sum of money which suits your circumstances
- A percentage of what you are worth – formally it is called a residuary gift. It can be 1% to 100% of your “estate” – again whatever suits your own circumstances. If you already have a Will, and would like to change it, you can use a codicil but nowadays it is just as easy for your solicitor to adapt an existing Will.
We fully recognise this is a private gift and that your circumstances might change in the future.
To reassure you that we value highly the private nature of this way of supporting our work we have developed the following promises:
- We will not put pressure on you to give a gift in your Will – it is your decision.
- We will never ask you the size or type of gift if you decide to support our work this way.
- We absolutely recognise those closest to you come first in your Will.
- You never have to tell us your intentions – we respect your right to privacy.
- We fully understand that personal circumstances change and there might be a time when you must take Autistica out of your Will.
- We promise to use your gift wisely.
- If you want your gift used in a special way, we will honour your wish.
- If you want to tell us about your gift, it does enable us to say thank you which we like to do!
Tax savings – an added benefit
Inheritance law is complicated but there are easy ways to reduce the tax you pay. By leaving Autistica a gift in your Will it is likely that for every £1000 you leave us, your estate could save £400 inheritance tax. Please take professional advice.
How do I change my will?
All you have to do is phone your adviser and it can happen in minutes. This is all the information you will need for your solicitor or person drafting your Will:
St Saviour’s House
London SE1 1SD
Registered charity number: 1107350
If you do not have a solicitor please contact Autistica on 0203 857 4340 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can send a list of local solicitors who regularly draft Wills. We are not allowed to recommend a particular solicitor.
We are not allowed to give legal advice but if you want to discuss your gift with us you are very welcome to contact us.
What if I don't have a Will?
For families with autistic children, it is strongly recommended that you take advice concerning Lasting Powers of Attorney and to form a Discretionary Trust. We have advice on making a Will of this kind.